Executive Director of BikeVentura
BikeVentura is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization serving Ventura County for over 10 years. Our mission is to foster a safe, healthy community through equitable bicycle education, empowerment, and advocacy in Ventura County. BikeVentura was founded under the name of VCCOOL, to combat climate change in Ventura. In 2015, the Board of Directors and staff elected to focus on bicycle programming entirely and rename the organization BikeVentura. Through our community bike shops (Bike HUBs), we offer do-it-together repair at low or no cost, and engage with underserved and low-income populations who primarily use bikes for transportation. BikeVentura is committed to carrying out our advocacy and program work through the lens of social justice.
General Job Responsibilities
BikeVentura’s Executive Director (ED) is responsible for ensuring the programs are funded through a variety of revenue sources: grants, government contracts, individual donors, earned revenue through our online ebay shop and the Ventura and Oxnard Bike HUBs. The ED leads and manages BikeVentura’s advocacy work throughout the community. Working with staff, they supervise and support program managers to ensure they carry out programming goals and funding requirements are met.
This is a full time employment position (40 hours/week) that reports to the board of directors.
Specific Tasks Include
- Grant Development: Monitor Grant Calendar for deadlines, work with grant-writer and staff to produce compelling and thorough grant applications. Expectation to raise a minimum of $100k in grants per year.
- Grant Management: Monitor Grant budgeting and ensure that grant requirements are being met.
- Budget Development: Create and monitor annual budget and prepare regular reports to Board of Directors on actual expenses against the budget.
- Contract Management: Monitor contracts with local governments, agencies, and firms to ensure work is fulfilled and payments are received in a timely manner.
- Supervise and support BikeVentura program managers to execute their individual roles and assignments. Monitor and review each team member’s progress and performance, as it relates to their assigned tasks, and their relationships with individuals both within the BikeVentura team and Ventura County community.
- Facilitate communication across programs between managers; multiple community bike shops and the education program.
- Represent BikeVentura to the community. Appear at events, attend local advisory committee meetings. Speak to city/county/state leaders on behalf of the BikeVentura community.
- Establish and maintain active and positive working relationships with key partners including community members, local nonprofit organizations, school district contacts, and other individuals and groups to help ensure that all interested parties feel valued and included to the greatest extent practicable.
- Champion for multiple sources of funding for BikeVentura including, but not limited to
- Annual end-of-year fundraiser
- BikeVentura membership program (business and individual)
- Individual donations
- Corporate giving
- Expectation to raise a minimum of $75k in non-grant funding per year.
- Set and maintain expectations for conduct that promotes a safe, inclusive environment for all staff, community members, and volunteers.
- Keep BikeVentura’s work on course with our social justice training and vision
- Manage communications and outreach efforts for advocacy and fundraising campaigns
- Demonstrate exemplary leadership
- Understanding of anti-oppression and equity concepts, and a commitment to building a multiracial, feminist, accessible organization that serves community and work environment
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including grant writing and group facilitation
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills including proficiency in using technology management tools and experience working with information technology staff to develop and implement program evaluation systems
- Background in community based projects (personal, non-profit, community service)
- Strategic mindset with experience developing and implementing long and short-range strategic plans
- Familiarity with Ventura County organizations doing justice work and activism
- Knowledge of challenges facing region, especially disadvantaged and underserved communities
- Passion for and commitment to social justice AND bicycles!
Highly Desirable Characteristics
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) speaking, writing, reading
- Anti-racist and social justice training
- Experience working with nonprofit boards
- Experience working with volunteers
- Fully see the value in our on-the-ground work and how it supports advocacy
- Appreciate the bicycle as a tool for change
- Salary depends on experience and qualifications
- Paid time off (personal sick/vacation time); accrual of 3.5 hours per bi-monthly pay period after 3 months
- 80 hours paid, flexible holidays after 3 months
- Individual health care plan fully paid after 3 months
- Flexible work schedule and work from home options after onboarding
- End of year performance bonus with successful fundraising and other goals are met or exceeded